Monday, May 30, 2011

The Crossroads

The Crossroads

We are hitting the cross roads of transition problems and separation anxiety coupled with some control issues.  Whew, what a mess.  My son has a problem with transitions.  He always has but as he has matured he has been better able to handle the normal, every day transitions of school vs. home vs. going out to eat.  Most people will read that last statement and think, 'ah, yes, I remember when little johnny wouldn't come out of the McDonalds play area and would scream like a banshee when it was time to go'.  Now take that
same thought and put in on a six year old who needs to go to school or a playdate or just to bed.  Separation is very hard on my little boy.  He is getting much, much better but things like the end and beginning of school are particularly tough for him.

For us, the end result of a transition battle is a separation anxiety problem.  I have just thown a HUGE tempertantrum over the end of a playdate and now I need to see my mommy. Not only see her but touch her and hold her and be with her ... only not really... because attachment disorder says that she cannot handle my dispair and I must take care of myself so I must scream and push her away.

Getting the picture yet?

Tonight we had another tornado of transition, separation and control issues.  A tornado is my best description because I really cannot figure out where one starts and the other begins.  It is just crazy here.  It is the end of the school year so I expect this but expecting it is not the same as living through it.  I worry that my son will never learn how to control this storm of emotions inside of him.  I think we need professional advice again.  Luckily, I can still go back to our therapist to get advice.  She doesn't have a magic wand but she does have a lot more experience than I do.  She has a lot of ideas.

Fingers crossed.  We will make it to summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment